Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Claire's first VBS

Last week was Claire's first time being old enough to attend VBS. I was so excited for her, as I have such great memories of VBS as a kid.
While we were grocery shopping the night before, I mentione to Claire that her camp starts "Tomorrow! YAY!" And what kind of response did I get? A flood of tears! I was shocked! I looked at Charlie for help and he was just as surprised as I was. Claire apparently decided that she was going to have some separation anxiety because she wailed all through Wal-Mart about me leaving her while I reassured her that I wouldn't leave unless she was happy there.
Needless to say, when we got up on Monday and got ready, I was nervous for Claire.
I got her into the church a little early and we waited for her teacher to come. Claire was a part of the "preschool crew" which meant that she didn't attend the full week and there were special activities for them. Anyway, her teacher finally came and I knew immediately that Claire would be fine. She was super nice and Claire took right up with her. She did ask if I was leaving, but when I said "yes" she agreed to let me go. Woohoo!
As I walked away, I turned back to watch Claire for a minute. She just seemed so little to me with all of those kids!
And then I drove home and had time to myself while Grayson took a nap. Yes! Time to MYSELF! It was heavenly!
When I picked Claire up she was so excited to show me her stuff that she got and tell me all about her snack. Food is important to my girl.
She had to show me a dance with her box. I also asked her what she learned about Jesus and she said "Jesus was not afraid, Mommy. Other people afraid, but Jesus not afraid." I love hearing her talk about God! Nothing like the faith of a child!
So, the week went on and when Claire went back on Wednesday the children's director was asking for volunteers to go up on the stage to sing. Well, the stage was flooded with kids and after a song or two, Claire went up on the stage too! I was so upset because I didn't have my camera!
On Friday, sure enough Claire went back up on stage. She was loving dancing up there. She was supposed to be following the dancers on the screen, but she liked making up her own moves!

This is her typical "see my pretty dress" move!
So, camp was a success! She had a great week and I am looking forward to when she can attend the whole week because she missed learning about several of the "characters" that taught them lessons each day. Also, she didn't get her VBS t-shirt and that is a key part to attending VBS! You have to have a t-shirt!
On Sunday her leader called all the kids up to the stage to sing a couple of their songs from the week. Claire happily went up on stage, but she didn't stand with the other kids. She was off to the side and she did her OWN moves the entire time. I was mortified. I kept getting her attention and pointing to her leader who was doing to motions to the songs. She would follow him for a few seconds and go back to twirling on her own. There were a few snickers around me about Claire...
Sometimes it is embarrassing to be a parent, haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment