Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Weekend Recap

Well, the snow has finally let up! I kind of want to hold my breath after saying that...but so far today there is no snow. And we are having a heat wave! Right now it is 17 degrees! It has been stuck below zero for so long I might break out my shorts and flip flops!
Over the weekend we were determined not to be stuck inside like the weekend before, so we went ahead and got all ready. Then, Charlie decided we would drive to the end of the neighborhood and if the roads were bad we would go to Wal-Mart, but it the roads were okay we would go to the big mall. Lucky for us, the roads were fair. I wouldn't say they were okay by any means. Not knowing where your lane is and having to follow the tracks made by the cars in front of you does not mean the roads are okay. Anyway, we headed to the mall. When we arrived we made up our own parking space, since the parking lot was covered by six inches of snow. That was an adventure!
It was fun to be out of the house! I have managed to make it out one day each week by myself (though not yet this week!) and it is really stressful to worry about the roads and possibly getting stuck somewhere, so for Charlie to be with me I thought I was on vacation.
We ate in the food court and Charlie got some kind of taco from a place you have never heard of (he said Taco Bell is better!) and I got KFC. Who knew they had chicken fries? And they were good! I kind of thought about cafeteria lunches as I ate them, but I managed to happily eat them all and enjoy them...which is saying a lot since being pregnant has caused some difficulty in the eating department.
Then, we took Claire to GalaxyLand to let her ride a few rides. That has to be the best part about the mall and having a two year old. She is free and happy to just enjoy three rides.
So we shopped a while and I tried on maternity jeans that made me look like I stuffed garbage bags in my backside and then we went home.
I guess Charlie was feeling adventurous after that because he talked me into going to the ice festival after church on Sunday. I packed fleece lined pants and snow boots for Claire and after church I took her in the bathroom and bundled her up. We thought we were ready!
I got out my directions and we drove a few blocks to the festival. We parked and asked a passerby where the festival was. She told us two blocks on the left. So, we started trudging through the snow. Let me just take a second to say..IT WAS COLD! Minus 5 outside, with snow and wind! We made it ONE BLOCK (half way there!) and Charlie turned around and looked at me. I admit I was dragging behind...my Emu boots are not a great substitute for snow boots. He asked if I was ready to go back to the car. I was proud I was still going! But, we turned around and went back to the car. Claire had her face buried in Charlie's coat and when we put her in her carseat she started crying. It was the most miserable I have been since moving here! My face was numb and we all were shivering. So, we drove by the ice festival instead! We think we will make it this weekend (it is supposed to be around 30 degrees). And so, that is how we ended up eating at Tony Roma's instead of seeing the ice festival!
And that was a true Canadian weekend! ha!
P.S. here is what Gus's trench looks like now...look closely and you can see where he used to be able to go straight!

No comments:

Post a Comment