Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday Musings

Claire woke up bright and early this morning and at about the same time Grayson was making grunting noises in the pack n' play beside me. It was 8am and still dark-ish outside. Claire wanted to immediately put her new shoes back on. I found a great deal at Old Navy on Saturday and got her some black church shoes for 5 dollars! She has been in love with them ever since. I think she would sleep with them if I would let her. I never thought she would be more excited about clothes and shoes than toys!!

Grayson has been trying to sleep all night. He has now dropped his 11pm feeding and goes from 8pm to 4am. I have had a hard time getting used to this change! I get so uncomfortable and full and then my breast pads leak all over me! I just hate waking up to that!

Today has been "change out the toys" day! Charlie and I found a good deal on some storage tubs over the weekend and last night I started packing up clothes that don't fit Claire anymore. This led to me noticing the disaster that is the toy area in the living room. I have gotten really tired of picking up all the little toys that end up all over the floor, under the couch, across the coffee table, etc. So, after I put Grayson down for his morning nap I got to work! I moved out the drawers that held all of the toys and put them in the basement and brought down Claire's table we got her from IKEA. I am trying to "introduce" toys that Claire does not play with. So far, so good. She didn't even ask where the other toys went! Charlie and I are constantly surprised at what she does and doesn't play with. It has made deciding what to get her for Christmas tricky!

Claire has been in "big girl underwear" all morning and has already had one accident. Potty training just drags on and on. Yesterday we went to eat lunch with some friends at Olive Garden. Claire went potty in her first public restroom. (I had been dreading this, as I think public restrooms are gross and try to never use them myself!!) I put toilet paper all over the potty and as she was going the toilet paper fell in. Hmm. Any thoughts out there to help with potty training in public restrooms? I worry about our upcoming trip to the US for Christmas because I know there will be lots of pottying in the airports.

As for Grayson, I have been trying to decide whether to get him new swaddle blankets or not. He loves to be swaddled and sleeps so good when bundled up tight. But, now his blankets are getting small and I am not sure if we should suffer through him waking himself up by being loose or buy new ones. Also, I am dreading what his arm splints will do to his mobility. I read a website over the weekend that said that some parents were disappointed when they removed the splints because their child had regressed in being able to grasp objects, pick up toys, etc.

Grayson's first appointment is on Friday. I feel like this upcoming surgery has come so fast! We will meet with the anesthesiologist and nurse to discuss all the details about preparing for the surgery and care afterwards. I am going to be taking lots of notes! I have also been thinking about all the questions I need to ask!

With Grayson's surgery almost here I am also trying to decide what to do about Claire's Christmas. We are going to try out the Elf on the Shelf this year. I got one for my kindergarten class the last year I taught and have been anxiously awaiting the day I could bring it out! Charlie and I have been talking about whether to bring the elf to the US with us or to finish his stay before we leave. Anyone else have to have an "early Christmas" because of going out of town? I think Claire will be old enough this year to really understand Santa's visit.

Any comments on my random musings are welcome! Hope you have a happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Grayson is such a cutie!!!!
    check these out
    http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534489&parentCategoryId=85180&categoryId=86184
    There is a portable fold up seat to set on public toilets...gross...you'd have to clean it where it touched the public toilet seat...ewwwww

    ReplyDelete