Thursday, October 27, 2011

Canadian-isms

Today I was at my Bible Study and the leader was making some morning announcements. When she was finished, she said, "and by the way...who made that wonderful square?"
Square? What square?
I looked around trying to figure out what they were talking about.
A lady said that she had made it and then I realized they were talking about food!
I asked my friends what exactly was a square and they told me that it is anything baked in a pan and cut into squares...well I guess that makes sense!
There aren't too many things that are different language-wise about living here, but just for fun, here are a few terms that I have gotten used to over the past year!

1) EH
An interjection or prompt spoken by Canadians.
Equivalent to the American "huh?" or "right?"
Usually used to prompt a person to respond to what was said. or to indicate a lack of understanding.

For example, "the sky is pretty today, eh?"

2) HEY
a slang interjection or prompt often used in place of "eh" or "right" in order to make a sentence into a question; used in parts of Canada

For example, "It's supposed to snow tomorrow, hey?"

3) GOTCH
 Men's underwear

4) TOOK (also spelled TUQUE)
(noun) a knit cap, a beanie


5) TOBOGGAN
A sled. Not a knit hat!


6) WASHROOM
A bathroom.

7) LOONIE
A gold dollar coin

8) TOONIE
A gold and silver two dollar coin

Interesting, eh? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment