Thursday, June 14, 2012

Soccer in the park

A few weeks ago I had the kids at the local playground and the Green Shack Program was going. The Green Shack is literally a green shack that is put at most of the playgrounds in the city in the spring and summer. It is run by volunteers who play games and do crafts with the kids. I had thought that Claire wasn't old enough to participate, but while we were in the sandbox I saw a sign on the shack that said "under 6 must have a guardian." So, when the volunteers (I like calling them the "green shack people") got out the miniature golf set and set it up, I sent Claire over to play. She LOVED it! She attached herself right to one of the volunteers and held her hand. After mini golf was over Claire told her she wanted to play something else and when the girl asked her what she wanted to play she said, "SOCCER!" Soccer? She has never played soccer! But the girl didn't know this and ran in to the shack and got a soccer ball. She and Claire kicked the ball around for a long time and Claire was so into it that I started thinking about putting her in soccer next spring.  Charlie was happy to hear of her interest too and bought her a ball at Wal-Mart over the weekend.
So the other night it was so pretty out that we decided to take out her ball and kick it around some.
Don't you just love the fact that Claire is playing soccer in a pink dress with a pink ball? She is my little girlie girl!
It was a perfect night...so warm (well in the low 70's...but hey, that's warm here!) and Grayson and I sat on a bench and watched.
Then, I decided to play. I had on flip flops, but that didn't stop me! And my bloody toes were proof that flip flops were a bad idea!
Do you think we have a future soccer star on our hands? She still is awful excited about ballet which starts in September. I guess we'll see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment