Thursday, May 17, 2012

Surviving Alone

So last week Charlie had to go to a conference. In Amsterdam. Yep, the Netherlands. The kids and I took him to the airport on Monday morning and he came back on Sunday at midnight. That is a long time to be alone with these kids! It is funny because now that he has been back a few days there has been a few times that he has mentioned something about the kids being hard to deal with or gosh, the kids are so fussy at night. Ahem...yes, try a week ALONE with them!
But, it really wasn't too bad. I tried to get out every day with them and do something to keep us busy. We went to the library, zoo, Galaxyland, and the playground. I also got really adventurous one day and ran with them to Wal-Mart to get stuff to make homemade biscuits. That turned into a disaster. It seems that  cream of tartar is necessary to the success of biscuits because our Wal-Mart didn't have any and the biscuits were kind of rock-ish. I should do a post one day on our Wal-Mart because it is NOT the same as the US Wal-Mart. It is kind of sad.
Anyway, Charlie had a great time. He got to see Ann Frank's house, tour the canals, and see the Van Gough museum. It was really hard to talk to him because he was eight hours ahead, but we did get to talk to him a few times.
Before I put Claire to bed on Sunday night I told her that I would be waking her up to take her to the airport to get Daddy. She was really excited to see what surprise Daddy got for her! When it was time to leave I opened the van doors and turned on the garage light and ran up the stairs to get the kids. I got Claire first and she did NOT want to wake up. I kept telling her we were going to get Daddy. I finally got her to stand in the hallway and I went into Grayson's room to get him up. He was even more unhappy. I turned around to see where Claire was and she was on her way back into her room to get back in her bed! I stopped her and finally got her awake enough to get in the van. Whew!
Both kids stayed awake the entire ride and Claire waited excitedly until we were home for Charlie to dig in his suitcase and pull out her present. She got a little Dutch doll complete with blond braids and wooden shoes. Claire has named her "Sparkle" and don't ask me why or how she got that name! I got a Hard Rock Cafe Amsterdam shirt. I always love a new t-shirt.
So, I can say I am proud of myself. I had been dreading him leaving for months, but he did it and I survived! I really don't know how single parents do it. Those extra set of hands are really helpful! I have felt a little bit bad for Claire because everyday she thinks Charlie is gone again and I have been explaining to her that no, it is just regular work and he will be home for dinner!! Thank goodness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment